Saturday, March 21, 2009

Wrist Fusion Surgery? What is it like?

Wrist Fusion Surgery? What is it like?
I am a teen and I was told by three doctors that I need to get a wrsit fusion surgery to fuse some small bones in my wrist together. All three told me that I need to look to surgery to avoid further problems down the road and that if I don't the pain will worsen. I am an athlete and worried about how the surgery will affect my performance in my sports (swimming, martial arts, and volleyball). I am very competitive and fear that I will miss my flexibility.

What are some other options? What is the surgery like? How big will the scars be? When they say I will not be able to bend my wrist to what degree do they mean? Will my competitive sports life be over? Is it a day surgery?

1 comment:

  1. I've had a wrist fusion done, I went into hospital Monday, had the operation on Tuesday and went home on Wednesday. Depending on how they do it you may need to return 4-6 weeks later to have the wires/screws removed.I have almost 50% movement in my wrist, which I understand is the most that the surgeons look for, any more and the surgery has failed.I can move my hand side ways and backwards but not really down from the wrist.The scar is about 8 inches down the back of my hand but it has faded quiet well thanks to plenty of moisturiser.

    ReplyDelete