Saturday, March 21, 2009

Is this ethical for my doctor?

Is this ethical for my doctor?
I was diagnosed with something pretty serious . . . a rare type of cancer. I had surgery to remove it.

My doctor called me with the good news, basically telling me that pathology indicates they removed everything of concern. All this is true, and I was very happy. I am cured. :)

When I had my post-surgery follow up, I asked the doctor if there was anything more spefcific about my pathology report. She said no.

I wanted a second opinion just to be sure, and I had to take over my medical records. So I was reading through the pathology reports, and I discovered my doctor did NOT tell me everything about my pathology! The report CLEARLY indicated that there was another issue that might not be resolved.

I spoke to my doctor about it, and she said it wasn't a big deal an explained to me that if I might not need treatment at all, and if I did, the treatment isn't a big deal. Everything she said was confirmed by the second opinion.

STILL, I don't think it's right that she just withheld information from me like that! Especially when I SPECIFICALLY ASKED HER for more information. It's MY diagnosis, how can she not tell me?

I am overreacting, or was she right in not telling me?

5 comments:

  1. yes, you are right, but in some cases a doctor may feel it is unnecessary to say something based on the stress you are experiencing after surgery. you may feel that you want to resolve this problem, but in her professional opinion it was probably unnecessary, adn she felt that instead of aking you worry she would withhold info. while it si not right, i woudl ask her her incentive for keeping the info from you and possibly change doctors if it bothers you that much.good luck

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anytime your doctor specifially lies to you it is unethical. If you asked them specifically for any more information in your report and they neglected to tell you because they didn't think it was a big deal, they're wrong.I understand if your doctor thought it wasn't that big a deal. But you asked. It's your health and you have a right to know. Just as your doctor has a responsibility to tell you what's going on; In specific details, giving you all the ins and outs of your condition so that you are prewarned and can make informed decisions should the issue ever come up.EDIT: Bottom line, it was not right. Your doctor LIED. You asked a direct question and she lied. She was wrong to lie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She may have felt that it was not serious so she did not tell you. What she should of said that there was something else found, but it's not a serious issue. Dr. are obligated to answer questions it part of their job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. She should have told you. You're the patient. It's your right to know what's going on with your body.Very smart on your part to get a second opinion - or else would probably would have never found out about this other issue.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think technically, you're probably right, the Doctor should have said something, but otherwise it sounds like a reasonable difference of opinion.

    ReplyDelete